We are inviting every household in Toronto to donate at least one non-perishable food item. The items collected in your neighbourhood will be distributed to organizations in your community and throughout the city to help fight hunger.
Wondering what type of non-perishable items to donate?
Here is a list of recommended items:
- Grains (rice, buckwheat, oats, millet, barley, quinoa, couscous, bulgur, etc.)
- Pasta sauces
- Vegetable oils
- Spices (e.g. salt, pepper, oregano, basil, chilli powder)
- Breakfast cereals, muesli, etc.
- Nuts and seeds
- Dried fruits
- Nut butter
- Legumes (beans, chickpeas, lentils, etc.)
- Non-perishable milk products (Grand Pré milk, soy milk, almond milk)
- Canned soup (preferably reduced in salt)
- Canned produce (e.g.beets, corn, mushrooms)
- Canned fish
- Infant formulas and baby products (baby food jars, powdered milk, diapers, hygiene products)
- Healthy snacks
- Hygiene products (sanitary napkins, toilet paper, toothpaste)
How do I donate safely during COVID-19?
Our top priority is the health and safety of all participants and volunteers of the Toronto Miracle on December 5. If you are symptomatic, please stay indoors on December 5th. Do not donate.
Recommendations for Food Donors
- Wash your hands before and after handling food donations
- Place your donation on porch/doorstep/building lobby in place visible from the street
- Remain inside while volunteers collect the donations, donations should not be passed from person to person
According to Toronto Public Health, there is no evidence that COVID-19 is spread by food or food packaging. Wiping down containers or packaging is not necessary.
Click here for our full list of safety recommendations
Interested in doing more?
There are many ways to fight food insecurity in Toronto:
- Make a financial donation to one of our partner organizations and support their operations in the fight against hunger in Toronto
- Volunteer with Toronto Miracle
How does a school participate?
Toronto Miracle is a great event for schools to participate in. Put a box in every classroom or challenge the whole school to fill the gym – there are lots of possibilities.
- To register your school please send us an email at: email@example.com Someone from our school team will be in touch to help with email and poster templates that you can use to get the word out.
- Collect donations up to Dec 5.
- Please remember to send the total number of pieces items collected to your Toronto Miracle contact so we can include it in our final total.
- If the school can be accessed on December 5, we can arrange for volunteers to pick up the donations. Otherwise, all donations can be dropped off at one of our distribution partner locations Monday through Friday. If a school-based volunteer is unable to do this, our Toronto Miracle school team can support the school in making alternative arrangements.
Did we miss your pickup?
Volunteers are working hard to get to everyone, however it is possible for donations to be missed. If your donation has not been picked up by 4:00 pm on December 5th, please check back here for a map of drop off locations in your area- coming soon.